Fashion & Art
- Imagining a World Without Men
I profiled photographer Marianna Rothen and her new series "Shadows and Paradise," a fantasy narrative about the collapse of a male-free, utopian community of women.
- 25 Years as a Set Designer, Captured in Polaroids
Happy Massee on his new book, "Diary of a Set Designer"
A New, Online Chapter for Fashion Legend Patricia Field
Patricia Field and I discussed her latest venture, her online Art/Fashion gallery
Artist Cecilia Salama Explores Digital Loneliness Through Butterflies and Gymnastics
On the eve of the gallery opening for her latest project, "The Butterfly Reprise"
- Eddie Peake Brings a Subversively Sexual Performance to New York
Peake inaugurated the new Jeffrey Deitch gallery with a commissioned performance, "Head"
- Patricia Field's Colorfully Eccentric Alternative to Fashion Week
The style icon debuts her "Art/Fashion" collection on the runway
- Charlemagne Palestine's "Bear Mitzvah in Meshugahland"
I spoke to the artist about his latest installation, featuring hundreds upon hundreds of stuffed animals.
Who What Wear
Links to all blog posts here
- The Offstage Art of Brooklyn Drag Queens
I took a look at the "Coney Island Babies" show at the Bureau of General Services-Queer Division
- Visiting the Museum of Modern Art at Sunrise
Experiencing the museum's "Quiet Mornings" series
Looking and Being Looked At in the New International Center of Photography
I visit the new International Center of Photography space at 250 Bowery
A Touch of Autobiography in Cindy Sherman’s New Classic Hollywood Portraits
I review Cindy Sherman's latest collection of work at the Metro Pictures gallery
At the AIPAD Photography Show, Training Your Eyes to See More
What I learned at the annual AIPAD Photography Show at the Park Avenue Armory
- Miles Aldridge in an Instant
The legendary photographer discusses his new book Please Return Polaroid.
- Interview: Max Vadukul On Life Behind the Lens
I chatted with the photographer about his career, the beauty of having detractors, the changing world of fashion photography, and more.
The Ecstasy and the Ecstasy: How Nikola Tamindzic is F*cking New York
Fashion photographer Nikola Tamindzic takes a love of New York to the next level
On View: “Richard Avedon: Fashion 1948-1995” at the Staley-Wise Gallery
Discovering a wealth of inspiration at a Richard Avedon retrospective
- Curious Portraits of Performance Artists from Around the World
Looking at Patrick Morarescu's series of performance artists.
- Fascinating Portraits Explore 'Romance Tourism' in Mombasa, Kenya
Documentary photographer Sofie Amalie Klougart delves into the slippery slope between love and sex with Western women and the men they hire.
- Talking Heads, Patti Smith, Blondie, The Ramones: Legendary Photos from CBGB in the '70s
Talking with punk photographer David Godlis about his time on the Bowery and his new book.
- Young Photojournalist Amanda Mustard on Life in Cairo
I interviewed Mustard about living in and photographing a city in turmoil.
- Portraits of Page: A Look at '80s and '90s Drag Life in NYC
Looking at drag queen Linda Simpson's images of Page, a gender-bending performer
- Compelling Nude Portraits Explore Both Self-Identity and Stereotypes
Talking to photographer Lauren Renner about her "In Others' Words" project
- An Ode to Style with Elsa Klensch: Or, the Birth of a Fashion Nerd
I pay tribute to the great fashion journalist's dearly departed weekly television show.
- A Brief History of Converse Chuck Taylor All-Stars
Looking at the legendary shoe's celebrated history.
- The 5 Accessories I Bought at Claire's
Recalling my favorite purchases from the tween accessory empire.
- Ellen von Unwerth on The Perfect Shot and Her Time in the Circus
An interview with the noted fashion and music photographer
- A Look at Bianca Casady's "Daisy Chain"
Bianca Casady, one half of folk duo CocoRosie, holds her first New York gallery exhibition in five years
- Inside Claire Distenfeld’s Concept Boutique, Fivestory
Profiling Upper East Side department store Fivestory and its creator, Claire Distenfeld
- New International Fashion Magazine: Bullett
Profiling the creation of new fashion magazine Bullett
- Cushnie et Ochs
- Jill Stuart
- Herve Leger
- Lela Rose
- Dennis Basso
- Maita Marimo
- Parsons MFA
- Kimberly Ovitz Runway Review
Reviewing the designer's Fall 2011 collection at New York Fashion Week