Fashion & Art
- Column: Woman Seeing Woman
Women are overlooked far too often in photography. How can we continue to combat this erasure? My answer is this column, “Woman Seeing Woman.” While it’s just the start of solving this problem, I, a female writer and photographer, hope to celebrate the astoundingly powerful female voices we have in photography by offering a glimpse into their work.
- How Graciela Iturbide Became One of Mexico's Great Photographers
Iturbide became known for black-and-white images that raise documentary photography to a poetic plane.
- Vivian Maier’s Never-Before-Seen Color Photography
Vivian Maier's square-format black-and-white images became beloved worldwide, but her color photographs have mostly remained a mystery until now.
- 7 David LaChapelle Photographs That Reframe Religious Imagery
He is never too far from composing a pietà or casting his own personal Jesus, retelling these age-old stories with the ecstatic splendor that only LaChapelle can conjure.
- Remembering Maria Tallchief
Celebrating the birthday of one of America's first prima ballerinas
- Joan of Arc's Style of Faith
In celebration of Saint Joan's 607th Birthday, CR revisits her story as an icon of faith in oneself.
- Remembering Marlene Dietrich's Fashion Legacy on Her Birthday
For the legendary actress, clothing was both adornment and subversion.
- Andy Warhol's Secret Muses
Meet the artist's lesser-known yet equally inspiration icons on what would have been his 90th birthday.
- History of the Trench Coat
Why fashion's most iconic garment is worth fighting for
- Facts You Didn't Know About New York Fashion Week
From "Fashion Press Week" to street style and everything in between
- Imagining a World Without Men
I profiled photographer Marianna Rothen and her new series "Shadows and Paradise," a fantasy narrative about the collapse of a male-free, utopian community of women.
- 25 Years as a Set Designer, Captured in Polaroids
Happy Massee on his new book, "Diary of a Set Designer"
A New, Online Chapter for Fashion Legend Patricia Field
Patricia Field and I discussed her latest venture, her online Art/Fashion gallery
Artist Cecilia Salama Explores Digital Loneliness Through Butterflies and Gymnastics
On the eve of the gallery opening for her latest project, "The Butterfly Reprise"
- Eddie Peake Brings a Subversively Sexual Performance to New York
Peake inaugurated the new Jeffrey Deitch gallery with a commissioned performance, "Head"
- Patricia Field's Colorfully Eccentric Alternative to Fashion Week
The style icon debuts her "Art/Fashion" collection on the runway
- Patricia Field Proves Fabulous is Forever
In a swirl of glitter and studs, Patricia Field opens her new ArtFashion Gallery.
- For Francisco Correa Cordero, Running a Gallery is an Art Form
How the gallerist makes his teeny space in Manhattan a must-see, artist-friendly spot
- Can Fashion Heal? Control Sector Thinks So.
The brand’s SS18 collection is inspired by a mother’s quest to survive Stage 4 Breast Cancer
- In Studio With The Parisian Brand Merging Fashion + Art
How Each x Other is using collaboration as cultural change
- Martha Rosler's 'Irrespective'
The iconic Brooklyn-based artist celebrates a new survey of her work at the Jewish Museum
- The Forgotten World of the Badass Valeska Gert
"On her 126th birthday, measuring the influence of the incomparable ‘dance performance artist’ who inspired entertainers from German Expressionism through to 1980s punk"
- Errol Morris Turns His Lens to Polaroid Photographer Elsa Dorfman
I interviewed Morris about his latest documentary.
- Charlemagne Palestine's "Bear Mitzvah in Meshugahland"
I spoke to the artist about his latest installation, featuring hundreds upon hundreds of stuffed animals.
Who What Wear
Links to all blog posts here
- The Work of a Fashion Photographer Who Despised the Fashion World
A look at Deborah Turbeville's images from 1977-1981 at the Staley-Wise Gallery
- The Offstage Art of Brooklyn Drag Queens
I took a look at the "Coney Island Babies" show at the Bureau of General Services-Queer Division
- Visiting the Museum of Modern Art at Sunrise
Experiencing the museum's "Quiet Mornings" series
Looking and Being Looked At in the New International Center of Photography
I visit the new International Center of Photography space at 250 Bowery
A Touch of Autobiography in Cindy Sherman’s New Classic Hollywood Portraits
I review Cindy Sherman's latest collection of work at the Metro Pictures gallery
At the AIPAD Photography Show, Training Your Eyes to See More
What I learned at the annual AIPAD Photography Show at the Park Avenue Armory
- Miles Aldridge in an Instant
The legendary photographer discusses his new book Please Return Polaroid.
- Interview: Max Vadukul On Life Behind the Lens
I chatted with the photographer about his career, the beauty of having detractors, the changing world of fashion photography, and more.
The Ecstasy and the Ecstasy: How Nikola Tamindzic is F*cking New York
Fashion photographer Nikola Tamindzic takes a love of New York to the next level
On View: “Richard Avedon: Fashion 1948-1995” at the Staley-Wise Gallery
Discovering a wealth of inspiration at a Richard Avedon retrospective
- Curious Portraits of Performance Artists from Around the World
Looking at Patrick Morarescu's series of performance artists.
- Fascinating Portraits Explore 'Romance Tourism' in Mombasa, Kenya
Documentary photographer Sofie Amalie Klougart delves into the slippery slope between love and sex with Western women and the men they hire.
- Talking Heads, Patti Smith, Blondie, The Ramones: Legendary Photos from CBGB in the '70s
Talking with punk photographer David Godlis about his time on the Bowery and his new book.
- Young Photojournalist Amanda Mustard on Life in Cairo
I interviewed Mustard about living in and photographing a city in turmoil.
- Portraits of Page: A Look at
'80sand '90s Drag Life in NYC
Looking at drag queen Linda Simpson's images of Page, a gender-bending performer
- Compelling Nude Portraits Explore Both Self-Identity and Stereotypes
Talking to photographer Lauren Renner about her "In Others' Words" project
- An Ode to Style with Elsa Klensch: Or, the Birth of a Fashion Nerd
I pay tribute to the great fashion journalist's dearly departed weekly television show.
- A Brief History of Converse Chuck Taylor All-Stars
Looking at the legendary shoe's celebrated history.
- The 5 Accessories I Bought at Claire's
Recalling my favorite purchases from the tween accessory empire.
- Ellen von Unwerth on The Perfect Shot and Her Time in the Circus
An interview with the noted fashion and music photographer
- A Look at Bianca Casady's "Daisy Chain"
Bianca Casady, one half of folk duo CocoRosie, holds her first New York gallery exhibition in five years
- Inside Claire Distenfeld’s Concept Boutique, Fivestory
Profiling Upper East Side department store Fivestory and its creator, Claire Distenfeld
- New International Fashion Magazine: Bullett
Profiling the creation of new fashion magazine Bullett
- Cushnie et Ochs
- Jill Stuart
- Herve Leger
- Lela Rose
- Dennis Basso
- Maita Marimo
- Parsons MFA
- Kimberly Ovitz Runway Review
Reviewing the designer's Fall 2011 collection at New York Fashion Week