Culture & Lifestyle
Town & Country
- 9 Things You Should Know About Eloise
I interviewed Eloise illustrator Hilary Knight and compiled a list of Eloise facts readers may have never known.
- You Must Listen to This: 9 of the Juiciest Old Hollywood Stories Uncovered by Karina Longworth
I interviewed Karina Longworth of You Must Remember This on the third anniversary of the podcast.
- Can Beauty Culture and Feminism Co-Exist?
Talking with author Autumn Whitefield-Madrano about her new book, Face Value: The Hidden Ways Beauty Shapes Women's Lives.
- Hite Strips Down
An introduction to musician Julia Easterlin's experimental folk project Hite.
- Chad Moore's Grit and Glory
On the photographer's latest exhibition in New York.
- Is America Ready for Cole Escola?
"After creating his own work for years, the comedian and actor is stepping into the spotlight. We might need to find a bigger stage."
- Riding with the Oldest, All-Gay, All-Male, All-Riding Motorcycle Club
I spent three months getting to know the fellas of the Empire City Motorcycle Club after the club celebrated its 50th anniversary.
- How to Tell Your Parents You're a Pornstar
I spoke to porn performers about "Coming Out Like a Pornstar" to their families.
- What It's Like to Test Sex Toys for a Living
A day in the life of renowned sex educator and sex toy buyer Ducky Doolittle.
- For Noisey: Four Times a Year, the Rolling Stones Sing the "Cocksucker Blues"
Robert Frank's contraband documentary makes an appearance at the Brooklyn Academy of Music.
- Pêche Di and the Trans Modeling Revolution
I profiled the founder of Trans Models NYC, a transgender modeling agency.
- Music to Skin Minks By: A Weekend with Taxidermist Allis Markham
I spent a weekend hanging out with taxidermist Allis Markham when she taught a bird taxidermy class in Brooklyn.
New York Magazine
- Awkwafina Unbottled
Profiling New York rapper Awkwafina
- Q&A: A Female Rock Critic on Music, Feminism, and More
Talking to Jessica Hopper about her new book, "The First Collection of Criticism By A Living Female Rock Critic"
- Q&A: Ex Hex's Mary Timony Talks Gender, '80s Power Pop, and More
A conversation with the indie rock legend
- Q&A: Meet Sadie Dupuis of New Band Speedy Ortiz
Chatting with the band's lead singer
- Q&A: Alice Smith, the First Cool Performer of Fashion Week
Discussing music, fashion, and style with the rising singer
- 'High Maintenance' Co-creator Katja Blichfeld Talks Running a Stoner-Devoted Webshow
I interviewed the Emmy-winning Blichfield about her critically acclaimed webseries. Published in print (March 2015 issue) and online.
- Beyond Sushi: 5 Other Ways to Prepare Raw Fish
Summer calls for cool fish dishes to beat the heat, like these!
- Why You Should Be Drinking Brandy
It's not just for old dudes in smoking jackets anymore.
- Caviar That Won't Break the Bank
Adventures in less expensive but still delicious caviars with Alexandre Petrossian
- You're Salting Your Food All Wrong
Lessons in salt featuring selmelier Mark Bitterman
- How to Make Whiskey Taste Even Better: Just Add Water
Whiskey neat's not the only answer, and in this article I find out why.
- The 7 Types of Men You Should Think Twice Before Dating
I wrote about men to love and men to stay far away from, with expert commentary.
- 8 Reasons You Might Feel Pain During Sex and What to Do About It
Pelvic pain is nothing to ignore. I spoke to Dr. Deborah Coady about resolving these issues.
- Beyond Avocado Toast: 6 Must-Try Healthy Toast Recipes
Avocado toast is so six months ago...try tomato or greek yogurt instead!
- ManServants are a Thing. Would You Hire One?
Looking at the ManServants startup, where you can hire a fella to do your (non-sexual) bidding.
- Spring Cleaning Musts: The 9 Grossest Things in Your Home Right Now
Your pillows, your mattress, your couch...and six other items you need to clean this instant!
- Happy Couples Share Their Secrets to Relationship Success
I interviewed seven couples about how to be happy in a relationship, and these are their secrets!
- 10 Healthy Things to Do for Your Breasts This Month
I spoke to two doctors and a clinical nutritionist about breast cancer prevention.
- How to Be Really Good at Dating, According to Professional Matchmakers
I interviewed three matchmakers about their best dating tips. Here's what they said.
- It's National Goat Cheese Month!
Five recipes for incorporating goat cheese into meals, beyond the salad bar.
- How to Be a Kick-Ass Wedding Date
In four easy steps, you'll be the guest with the best.
- What Your Toothbrush Says About Your Love Life
"Three writers tackle the romantic significance of a seemingly mundane toiletry."
- An Interview with Jillian Keenan, Author of Sex with Shakespeare
We discuss spankings, The Merchant of Venice, and more.
- Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries: A Love Story
What's not to love about a flapper detective in 1920s Australia?
- What Makes a "Song of the Summer"?
Reporting on the business of music when the heat is on.
- Fort Tilden Writer/Director Sarah-Violet Bliss is Indie Cinema's Next Big Thing
I talk to Sarah-Violet Bliss, whose film Fort Tilden won the 2014 South by Southwest Grand Jury Prize
- Pure Bathing Culture on Swiss Spas and Significant Others
Chatting with the dream pop duo after a Paper magazine kitchen concert
- Maps and Legends Issue (Print)
Dance Dance Revolution: The Queer New World of Ballez
Introducing choreographer Katy Pyle's new genderqueer dance company, Ballez
- Legendary Indie Music Nerd Zine chickfactor Celebrates 21 years in Print
A look at chickfactor's 21 years of indie music fandom
- Blondie Stage Killer Homecoming Gig at NYC’s Roseland Ballroom
The legendary New York City band features one of rock 'n' roll's grand dames, Debbie Harry, and given that she's been at it since the '70s, it's only natural to think, "What if she’s not the same as she used to be?”If anyone's wondering if Blondie's still got it, don't worry; they do.
Read More: Elyssa Goodman - Diffuser.fm | http://diffuser.fm/author/elyssagoodman/?trackback=tsmclip
- Dismemberment Plan's Travis Morrison Talks 'Less Neurotic' New Album 'Uncanney Valley'
The frontman discusses the band's first album in 12 years.
- X Singer Exene Cervenka on Punk's Past, Present, and Future
The legendary punk singer discusses the Ramones, the Masque, and touring with X.
Read More: Dismemberment Plan’s Travis Morrison Talks Less Neurotic New Album 'Uncanney Valley' | http://diffuser.fm/dismemberment-plan-interview-2013/?trackback=tsmc
- Bawdy Storytelling: True Stories of Sexual Adventure
Introducing the sexy, new storytelling phenomenon endearingly known as "The Moth for Pervs"
The Jewish Daily Forward
- The Art of Laurie Simmons at The Jewish Museum
Looking at (and being looked at by) artist Laurie Simmons's "How We See" exhibition at the Jewish Museum
- Capturing a 1970s Borscht Belt Singles' Weekend
I interviewed my mother about some photos she took the time she accidentally attended a singles' weekend in the Catskill Mountains.
- 7 Things to Know About Helena Rubinstein
Learning about the famed cosmetics executive at the Jewish Museum's "Helena Rubinstein: Beauty is Power" exhibition
- Looking for Kabbalah at a Rangers Game
I interview Steven Bram, director of spiritual soul-searching documentary "Kabbalah Me."
- Barbra Streisand, 'Funny Girl' and Me
Discovering what Funny Girl meant to me as a child
- Meet Jinkx Monsoon, The Narcoleptic Jewish Drag Queen
An interview with the 2013 winner of RuPaul's Drag Race
- Jayson Littman, 'Mayor' of Gay Jewish Party Scene, Was Once Yeshiva Boy
Profiling Jayson Littman, founder of He'bro, a party organization for gay Jewish men
- In “The Jewish Daughter Diaries,” True Stories About Fierce and Funny Jewish Moms
Looking at Rachel Ament's new essay anthology about Jewish daughters
- At Shalom Japan, A Husband and Wife Team Fuses Two Culinary Traditions
Profiling Jewish/Japanese restaurant Shalom Japan
- Vinegar and Brown Paper
Britain's Andy Poplar gives glassware a sense of humor with etched messages and mantras
- Dressed to Kill: Dispelling the Myths of Men in Drag
What makes a man, especially a man in drag?
*Also featured on 3Quarks Daily
- StooShe: Girl Pop That Won't Give You Cavities
Reviewing the British girl group and their chances at success in the U.S.
- Blonde Moment: My One Night as a Blonde
Normally a brunette, I experiment with what it's like to be blonde for an evening.
Doll Magazine, Dollmag.ca
- The Power of the Pole
Exploring the relationship between pole-dancing and feminism
- Derby Girls Do It Better
The life of roller derby skaters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania